How to Choose the Right Massage for You
Massage is not one-type-fits-all. People need different types of massage to best address their specific issues. That’s why choosing the right type of massage therapy for your needs is essential. You don’t have to do this on your own – our massage therapists will evaluate you to determine your needs, trigger points and imbalances and then personalize the type of massage best suited for you. Following are several of the varieties of massage therapy that we offer at Total Body Chiropractic & Massage, and who can benefit most from each technique:
- Deep tissue massage – this whole-body massage is designed to relax joints and muscles. While it is similar in many ways to the better-known Swedish, or relaxation, massage, its deeper pressure aids chronic pain sufferers.
- Myofascial massage – this technique concentrates on pain that stems from tough myofascial tissues, the membranes supporting the muscles and is beneficial for back pain sufferers. It also improves blood circulation, which relieves pain by bringing oxygen and nutrients to tissues. A related type of myofascial massage known as gua-sha is also available. Gua-sha is especially recommended for those with longstanding muscle tension requiring a release.
- Pregnancy massage – expectant mothers appreciate the relief offered by this massage, as it can dispel many of the common conditions of pregnancy. These include edema – or swelling – backaches, cramping, and overall stress. Also known as prenatal massage, the practice can help mothers-to-be relax and sleep better.
- Sports massage – athletes know the effects of a good massage. Regular sports massage can prevent injuries and increase flexibility and range of motion. The massage therapist targets the most vulnerable areas in the individual’s body based on the type of sport they play.
- Swedish massage – this classic form of massage improves circulation and aids in muscle relaxation. It is also effective for minor pain relief. If you’ve never had a massage before, this is a good place to start.
Massage therapy can significantly improve a patient’s overall well-being both physically and emotionally. When combined with proper nutrition and ongoing chiropractic care, massage therapy promotes proper body alignment, balance and function.