Here Are the Signs, Symptoms & Solutions for “Text Neck”
Most of us know that looking down at a cell phone or tablet every day takes a toll on your neck and upper back muscles, which can lead to both acute and chronic pain. More and more, people are relying heavily on smart phones for all kinds of communication and often you can see several people with their heads down, looking at a phone, when you are in a public setting. The text neck has become an actual medical condition that affects millions of people each year.
Some studies show that the population between 18-50 years of age have their cell phones with them 100% of the time, and it’s only at night when they are sleeping, that the phone isn’t in-hand.
SIGNS & SYMPTOMS
Text neck typically presents itself as neck pain and soreness, however, pain can often be felt in other areas of the body. Upper back pain, shoulder tightness, or even pinched cervical nerves are all conditions that can point back to bad habits with digital devices. If left untreated, text neck can lead to inflammatory issues in the neck, nerve irritation, and even increased spinal curvature.
- Pain- can be localized to one spot or may be spread over an area, usually the lower part of the neck. The pain can be described as a dull aching or can also be stabbing or sharp pain
- Radiating pain- The pain can often radiate down into the shoulders and arms
- Muscular weakness- shoulders muscles namely, trapezius, rhomboids and shoulder external rotators are often weak
- Headache- sub-occipital muscle tightness can lead to tension type headaches.
- Stiff neck- soreness and difficulty in moving the neck is usually present when trying to move the neck after long usages
Chiropractic care is helpful for text neck and treatment can include manual adjustments and other pain reducing techniques such as acupuncture. Statistically, Chiropractic and neck pain relief work well in unison.
Beyond chiropractic care, neck stretches can be incredibly helpful in reducing the strain from text neck. It’s also important to reevaluate your posture and usage habits. We can help you make sure you are in a safe position when using your cell phone or tablet. We can also help you plan for better cell phone habits.
If you or someone you love is feeling the effects of text neck, Total Body Chiropractic & Massage treats adults and children for this very condition and would be happy to set up an appointment so you can get some relief. We’ve seen many patients that are damaging their bodies with bad posture and overuse of digital devices. Let us help you manage the pain and find some better solutions for using digital devices, so text neck can be a thing of the past.